The c vitamin has got to be the most widely known vitamin these days. It is not surprising because the body needs c vitamin for over 300 functions. In fact, the c vitamin has been proved to help protect against heart disease, cancer and other serious illnesses. Without the c vitamin the body would not be able to heal itself either. This is because the c vitamin is vital for the formation of collagen. Whenever a person has a cut or an injury it is the collagen that helps repair the damage and without sufficient c vitamin this would be almost impossible. Collagen has a multitude of functions in the body, including keeping the organs in place, and it would not be able to do this without sufficient c vitamin.The c vitamin is also an antioxidant for the body and helps other vitamins and minerals to be absorbed better. Folic acid and iron, for example, need the c vitamin to maximise their usefulness. The more c vitamin that the body has, the better its defence against colds and other common ailments and the c vitamin may not prevent a person catching a virus but it does help speed up the recovery process.There is c vitamin in almost every fruit and vegetable but some have far higher c vitamin content than others. Cranberries and melons have high c vitamin content. In fact, tropical fruits have the highest c vitamin amounts of all fruit. Hot peppers are amongst the richest sources of the c vitamin when it comes to vegetables. The hotter the pepper, the higher its c vitamin content is. Unfortunately, the c vitamin is water soluble so many vegetables lose their effectiveness as a c vitamin provider if they are boiled for a long time. Steaming or quick stir frying vegetables ensures that more of their c vitamin content is retained. The recommended daily amount of the c vitamin is easily obtained from eating five portions of fruit and vegetables a day if they are consumed raw or cooked quickly.C vitamin supplements are extremely useful to ensure that people obtain sufficient c vitamin. However, with a balanced diet the amount of c vitamin the body receives is likely to be sufficient. However, if a person begins feeling tired or lethargic then a c vitamin supplement will help overcome this. There is no danger of having too much c vitamin as the body simply excretes the excess.
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease in which the sugar level in the blood is high. This occurs due to the improper secretion of insulin. These days this disease has become very common and is found in almost every house and has steadily increased over the years. So in order that this disease is treated suitably many diabetic centers have opened. These centers solely concentrate on Diabetes and provides with special and exclusive treatment. These institutions consist of experts who are proficient in their field. With their expertise in this field, they conduct research and Development activities. Their aim is to find out ways to reduce the impact of this disease.
These physicians prepare the diet chart for the patients that will keep the blood sugar level under control. Systematic practice and maintaining these charts has shown better results. Certain test like HbA1c are recommended which is an excellent index of long term diabetes control over preceding 2-3 months. Unlike blood sugars which tend to fluctuate from day to day and even hour to hour, the HbA1c test is a true index of the average blood glucose control during previous two to three months. HbA1c test is done in these institutions rapidly and precisely using the “gold standard” of the HbA1c testing.
Diabetic diet with general guidelines is the most important aspect of treatment. The diet should be similar to the patient’s usual diet and that of his family. The old idea that rice should not be taken by diabetic and only wheat or ragi should be is incorrect. All cereals whether it is rice or wheat or ragi contain about 70% of starch. The type of cereal taken is not important it is only the quantity that matters. Vegetable proteins like dals and legumes etc are better than animal proteins. Combination of cereals and pulse will enhance the protein quality. Fiber rich fruits are very good for controlling diabetes and for reducing blood cholesterol. Rich sources of natural fibre are whole cereals pulses, black gram and leafy vegetables. There are certain fruits which are to be avoided like sugar, honey, bananas, grapes etc. Following a diet strictly will help you in achieving a good control of diabetes preventing complicationsHealth Fitness Articles, reducing drug requirement and maintain ideal body weight.
The B5 vitamin is also known as Pantothenic Acid. The B5 vitamin is the most prolific of all the vitamins and is found in every type of food. In fact, it is impossible for a person to consume less B5 vitamin than they need. That means that there is no little possibility that a person can have a B5 vitamin deficiency. For this reason, there is actually no recommended daily amount that health professionals can state as everyone obtains more than enough from their normal food consumption. However, even though there is no need to calculate a recommended daily allowance it does not mean that the B5 vitamin is not vital for a healthy body and mind. In fact, the B5 vitamin is essential for turning food into energy amongst other functions. The B5 vitamin is responsible for taking the fats and carbohydrates into energy.Some B5 vitamin can be found in almost every food whether it is animal or vegetable. Obviously there are some sources of the B5 vitamin that are better than others but a balanced diet will provide more than enough. The foods with the highest B5 vitamin content are organ meats, salmon, eggs, beans, milk, and whole grains. It is worth noting that the B5 vitamin is lost when grains are milled into flour and tends not to beaded back in. Therefore, processed grain foods such as bread, pasta, rice, breakfast cereal, and baked goods are not good sources of the B5 vitamin.The B5 vitamin is the most effective when it is combined with other B vitamins especially thiamin or B1, riboflavin or B2, niacin or B3, pyridoxine or B6, and biotin. Along with these other B vitamins, the B5 vitamin is an integral part in a number of processes. The most important of these is the production of energy from food that is consumed and this is known as the Kreb’s cycle. The B5 vitamin is also required for releasing energy from fats. Interestingly, the B5 vitamin is also considered to be helpful in reducing stress. This is chiefly due to the fact that during periods of stressComputer Technology Articles, the body produces more of certain hormones such as adrenalin and these require the B5 vitamin. There are many theories as to the benefits of the B5 vitamin but there is no need for the majority of people to actively seek out foods that are high in B5 as they are likely to be consuming far more than is needed already. There are no adverse effects to consuming too much B5 vitamin.
Anemia is common in middle-aged women who repeatedly complain of tiredness and inability to do work due to it. This can cause aching muscle and a loss of function of body organ. The deficiency of calcium can cause back pain and pain in various joints, and this is a common condition in women in their forties. Vitamin D deficiency can induce day time sleepiness. Vitamin B12 is required for preventing megaloblastic anemia, weakness, loss of appetite and weight loss.
The deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause confusion, depression, poor memory and soreness of tongue or mouth. Deficiency of iodine can affect the performance of glands and cause weakness. To bridge the nutrition gap, mentally and physically, certain herbal energy supplements can be taken which helps to cure the issues of metabolism and endocrine malfunctioning easily. Certain herbal energy supplements can cure anemia which is one of the major reasons for deficiency and tiredness.
Fatigue and daytime tiredness can happen due to a number of reasons and one of the commonest causes for it is the ‘Nutrition Gap’. Some kind of chronic illness due to deficiency can be a reason for low stamina, or the person suffers from unidentified sickness which needs cure, or he/she can be just tired. Deficiencies in body can cause minor illnesses which can make a person feel washed out each day and these issues can be easily resolved by taking the right kind of supplements. To bridge the nutrition gap herbal energy supplements Sfoorti capsules can be taken. These capsules are made up of herbs such as Withania somnifera, Mucuna pruriens, Hypoxis orchioides, Croci stigmata, Asparagus racemosus etc. It also contains Asphaltum which is a source of a number of minerals and bioactive compounds that can help the body to absorb the bio-nutrients effectively. The herbs in the pills can stimulate the immune system and reduce the symptoms of chronic fatigue effectively.
Emergencies occur anytime, anywhere, which is why being prepared is something that most people should exemplify. The American Heart Association took this belief by heart, which had served as the basis of their program called Pediatric Advanced Life Support or PALS. AHA originally developed PALS classes in 1983 as response for the needs of resuscitation guidelines and trainings that would aid health care professionals in providing care for patients especially for children. Since then, PALS provide health care professionals the skills and knowledge to properly respond and treat critically ill patients suffering from cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergencies, specifically infants and children, whether in or out of the hospital.
PALS is a program that follows simulated clinical scenarios and learning stations to actively encourage students to learn and practice life-saving skills individually, as a part of a team and as team leaders. PALS give emphasis on the importance of basic life support CPR for the survival of patients, integration of advanced pediatric life support intervention as well as the importance of team communication, interaction and cooperation during resuscitation. The realistic simulation involved in PALS course reinforce major health care concepts that include basic life support care proficiency, cardiac arrest management, recognition and early management initiation for peri-conditions, algorithms, ischemic chest pain and coronary syndrome identification and treatment, effective team interaction, and recognition of other life-threatening conditions in order to administer initial care.
To get PALS certification, individuals are required to take PALS course. This could be done in two different ways either through AHA approved online PALS providers or through attending PALS classes in medical schools or hospitals. If you are looking to complete your PALS certification immediately, you could go online and complete your PALS course from your computer at your own pace. If you are more adept to learning in a classroom setting, it would be more preferable to attend in medical schools or hospitals that offer PALS course.
PALs classes have a standardized curriculum wherein students attend a classroom-based education led by an instructor with video aid and skills conducted throughout and are provided with materials for continuing education that is strongly based from AHA's "assess-categorize-decide-act." PALS course lasts for 14 hours long and most providers offer it for two intensive days. On the process of the course, an AHA PALS instructor is the one who facilitate the discussion around simulations and video-based lessons and students are required to participate in 12 core clinical cases. They are also expected to complete and pass a written examination before they receive their certification.
PALS certification is intentionally designed to be participated by health care professionals that includes family physicians, pediatricians, emergency physicians, physician assistants, nurses, paramedics, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists and other health care providers that directly administer advanced life support during pediatric emergencies. For these individuals to participate in the course, it is necessary that they have completed an American Heart Association basic life support (BLS) health care provider course or American Red Cross BLS course for professional rescuers, PALS pharmacology and knowledge in ECG interpretation. They also have to complete the pre-course material given to them prior to the first day of classes so that they would not be rescheduled. Once they passed the PALS course and examination, they would be given the PALS provider course completion card which is valid for two years.
Of course, pediatric advanced life support is not only beneficial for health care practitioners; it is also advantageous for patients especially for critically ill or injured children. Accordingly, the development of PALS has been shown to consistently increase the survival rate of patients suffering from cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergencies, who were attended by PALS certified health care practitioners in pre-hospital settings. Overall, the development of PALS is relatively useful both for health care professionals and patients during emergency situations. If you're a health care professional who wish to further improve your clinical practice, it is about time to receive PALS certification in order to provide the best medical care you could give to the community.
As a healthcare professional, it always pays to be prepared especially during emergency cases whether in or out of the hospital. One of the most important means to be equipped with the skills and knowledge about proper patient care is by attending pediatric advanced life support or PALS classes to be able to further improve one's life-saving skills. PALS is especially tailored for physicians, pediatricians, nurses paramedics and other healthcare providers involved in direct advanced life support during pediatric emergencies.
If you have recently had or are about to have surgery or if you have been injured in an accident you can improve your chances of a quicker recovery. Although surgery is sometimes necessary to help improve your health, or save your life, recovering from it can be very stressful on many levels. There are always factors to consider. Be certain to communicate with your medical team. Ask your doctor if there are any restrictions regarding movement, diet, climate, medications, requirements for at home medical assistance, or complementary therapies. They can help you lay out a recovery plan or wellness program. Beyond the typical recovery routine that may include medications, physical therapy, or visits with a counselor or nurse, your body will need to get all of the supportive nutrients that are required for complete and speedy recovery. The following list will give you some idea of all that can be added to your health recovery regime — with the approval of your physician.
1. Rest and immobilization as required by your doctor.Be sure that your room has adequate fresh air as ionization helps recovery time; having an oxygen rich environment and sunshine are important – again unless restricted by your medical team.
2. Bathing or showering as allowed – at least warm sponge baths to remove toxins being eliminated by your skin.
3. Fill the room with fresh flowers and plants to uplift your mood.
4. Watch TV programs and movies that make you feel good – and if you are allowed to laugh definitely watch movies that keep you laughing and giggling often. Improving your mood is definitely important to healing. In fact, there are now hospital humor programs where personnel are trained to help make you laugh. Laughter is very healing!
5. Allow only those visitors with a positive mental outlook; people that make you feel happy when you see them.
6. Keep your bowels moving. Some medications have side effects that include sluggish bowel movements or constipation. Drink purified water at room temperature unless you are really warm and cool water feels better to you. However, digestion is always best without too hot or too cold water in the digestive tract. Stay away from coffee because caffeine may be dehydrating. Consider the proper diet to help yourself heal well
7. Your diet (again check with your personal physician to be certain these suggestions are appropriate for you) should be filled with foods that are nutrient rich. And every bite and everything you drink should be as valuable as possible. That means that you should eat foods that are whole, grown without herbicides, pesticides, unchanged by man. Avoid processed foods and drinks. Get close to nature. Sometimes baby foods are required if you can not swallow easily or have compromised digestion or loss of appetite. If not, just follow some of the suggestions below:
Clear broths either chicken, beef or veal are good for healing. Soups that start with a clear brother and contain fresh vegetables as well are important. When you are ill or injured your body will not readily produce the enzymes it needs to complete digestion. We will talk about digestion enzymes a little later.
Having sufficient protein is critical to healing. As protein is assimilated it is broken down into amino acids, often called the building blocks. So, if you are unable to eat foods such as fish, chicken, turkey, veal, portk, eggs, cheese, tofu, beans, nuts and seeds, you may need to purchase protein powders and mix them with soy milk, almond milk, regular milk, or just room temp water. Ionized whey powders are probably the easiest to assimilate in small quantities, but again chew the shake (I know that sounds weird) because it would be similar to eating a steak without chewing it – very concentrated and not easily absorbed even in powdered form if you are ill. Sip on the shakes that you drink – some people enjoy adding fruit like berries or bananas.
Eat more fruits and vegetables for starters. Avoid sugars, too much salt. Avoid snacks and lifeless foods that rob your body of energy. Avoid sodas, alcohol, white flour breads, cereals, pancakes and pastas. Avoid candy and cakes unless just occasional.
Buy organically grown and made foods if possible. Instead of drinking fruit juices eat the whole food. However, if you can get organically grown fruits and vegetables you can make delicious juices (save the pulp for soup) by combining dark green veggies with carrots and beets and pear juice or pineapple or cherry or apple to make it more palatable. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with life supporting nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. If you have a juicer that's terrific, if you do not you can just use a food processor or a blender to pulverize pulp and some seeds. Be sure that you chew the juice, do not just swallow it. Your digestive system will work best if you do not just swallow foods even when "juiced." Chew to begin the signal to the brain that you will need enzymes for complete digestion.
Beets and beet tops, dandelion greens, parsley, argula, mustard greens, carrots and tops, and fresh lemon juice are wonderful to support liver function. Supporting your liver is extremely important as it will help you to purify your blood. The liver will help to remove toxic residue from anaesthesia and other medications. It helps to flush away waste products of all kinds so it is very important to give the liver all that needs to do its job well.
8. Vitamins / Minerals / other nutrients: Giving your body a multi-vitamin / mineral formula is integral to healing. Concentrate as well on anti-oxidants such as Vitamins A, C, E, + Zinc. Add to that a formula that includes other protective elements such as grapeseed extract, green tea (not if you have high blood pressure because it is stimulating) berries, … many anti-oxidants available today in combination formulas. A separate bone building formula that includes, Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Boron, is important. (Ask the doctor again because certain medications may be conflicting here) important to rebuilding bone.
9. Exercise and rehabilitation routinely help to strengthen muscle, ligaments, tendons and bones. Circulation is integral to wellness. Do what you are allowed to do. Check into "rubber stretch bands" to help initiate mobility if allowed –really good and gentle on joints for starters. Rebounders are also good for circulation as you become more mobile. These are mini trampolines and you can gently bounce while watching TV or listening to music – very enjoyable experience and good for you. Let your physical therapist, nurse or aid instruct you here.
10. Homeopathic remedies can also be beneficial to stimulate your body's immune system and healing response time. Please seek the advice of an MD who practices homeopathic medicine. To go The Www.vithoulkas.com to the find highly trained classical Homeopaths in your area Hotels .
11. Stress relief measures such as Yoga, Bio-Feedback, Meditation: Learning how to quiet and clear the mind of stressful thoughts, worries, and fears can add much to your healing program. When your body stops getting disturbing signals from your brain it can more readily attend to physical healing. Do whatever seems to soothe you most. If allowed soaking in a warm tub might help reduce aching muscles and calm the nerves. Aromatherapy is also good for soothing your senses. Try lavender under your pillow, or vanilla candles to bring tranquility. Music is also wonderful for the nervous system. Choose calming classical music, new age flutes and bells, easy listening tunes to help stay relaxed.
12. Massage therapy and acupuncture or acupressure can complement your healing program. Bringing greater circulation to an injured or ill body can speed healing. Ask your physician if this is allowed. Sometimes having circulation cuffs on your legs are recommended by doctors after surgery or injury. This might be a good way to speed healing with limited exertion.
13. Digestive Enzymes help you assimilate and absorb nutrients that are important to healing. A product such as AbsorbAid that has been clinically tested and scientifically proven to increase the absorption of vital nutrients by up to 71% can really help speed recovery time. AbsorbAid is a 100% plant based enzyme formula that works well for most all individuals – if you can eat fruits and vegetables you can take AbsorbAid Platinum. It is so safe the original AbsorbAid has been used in feeding tubes in nursing home trials with excellent results at increasing protein utilization. Amino acids are the building blocks so adding AbsorbAid digestive enzymes can really be beneficial.
14. Visualization: Visualize yourself totally well, doing whatever it is that you most enjoy in your mind first — I used to tell my patients to See, Feel and make it Real! The joy you get from imagining yourself completely well and up doing what you most enjoy can uplift your spirits and speed healing. Guided imagery tapes are readily available today.
15. Prayer and Faith: have a profound effect on healing for many people. When you believe that you will be well it can elevate your body's responses. There are many documented cases of people healing when they are certain they will! So prepare yourself for recovery and get excited about it!
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
If you a stocky, smooth muscled and round in shape; if you are carrying most of your fat in your face (especially your neck and cheeks) around your waist, hips and thighs; you are the classic endomorph. When you are trim and fit, you're easily mistaken for a mesomorph body type.
The tell-tale fat deposit under the chin and the cheeks begin to show once you slack off from working out and dieting. Since this body type is very efficient at storing calories, they are far less efficient at losing fat. Their metabolic rate is naturally slower than others and makes it that much harder to see results when working out or dieting.
The classic endomorph will have a naturally high degree of body fat, around the midsection. They usually take the shape or pattern of a pear. Overweight endomorphs will have a hard time controlling their weight; (Think of Oprah Winfrey or John Goodman). There is a soft smooth look to endomorphs that
The proliferation of fast food restaurants and other convenience foods, make healthy living difficult for you and due to your natural tendency to skip meals when worried or busy, you're likely to gain weight from eating less!
Classic endomorphs are not always big fans of working out even though they might like to watch sports or play them in a video game. Because this body type is less likely to participate in sports activities, it is essential that they get daily exercise. Unlike the mesomorph or ectomorph who can get away with slacking off for a few days, endomorphs will easily find their bodies slowing down and succumbing to tiredness or fatigue after a few days off.
I belabor this point because although endomorphs tend to be very physically attractive at their optimal bodyweight, they will look and feel drastically different when they let their fat percentage go past 25-30 percent.
The Endomorph Workout
If you hate cardio, sign up right now for a burial plot. High intensity short duration cardio exercise will save your life. Perform cardio routines like jump rope, rebound, boxing, elliptical machine or cycling. Avoid swimming and high impact aerobics. You will love swimming because it's easy on your body and good for the heart but it will do little to help you lose fat. You'll hate high impact aerobics if you're already out of shape. It will leave you feeling tired initially and that alone can discourage most out of shape endomorphs.
Keep the cardio down to 20-30 minutes. The real secret to changing your metabolism will be capitalizing on your asset. Endomorphs build muscle as easily as mesomorphs do.
Muscle Building Workout
The fact is, that many endomorphs try dieting first and lose muscle mass instead of fat. The weight goes down but the metabolism gets slower. Once they switch their diet back to the old way, the fat stores get even bigger and the muscles are still soft. If you are getting back into shape, I recommend compound exercises for at least the first six weeks. The three best compound exercises for you overall body development as an endomorph are squats, deadlifts and chest press. Work with these three exercises for high reps 10-12 and low sets (1-3) to stimulate your muscles for strength training. You must choose a weight that allows you to finish your sets with proper form yet challenge you to progressively increase the weight through the six week training.
Stick to a protein rich lower carb diet that completely removes processed flour, sugar and hydrogenated fats and oils. Take your carbs from fruits and vegetables and omit pasta or other processed starches for now. You goal is to feed your muscles for six weeks and get them burning fat for you 24/7.
Kidney Stones Flush Safely and Naturally:
Kidney stones are accumulations of mineral salts that can lodge anywhere along the urinary tract. 80% of the time, they are calcium stones (calcium oxalate), a condition known as hypercalciuria. This is mainly due to a diet consisting of too much animal protein. The consumption of animal protein is strongly associated with oxalate production. The body reacts by producing an excess of acids to digest meat and other high protein animal and fish foods. The excess acids cause the pH balance of the blood to become too acidic. The body leeches calcium (an alkaline mineral) from the bones to restore the ph balance in the bloodstream. The remaining calcium is eliminated through the urine in the form of calcium oxalate. When there is a high enough concentration of calcium, it begins to crystallize and form small clumps, which eventually become stones.
A health-supporting vegetarian diet that emphasizes low protein foods help prevent the formation of Calcium Kidney Stones in most people and would be of particular benefit to those who suffer from recurrent stones.
Pain radiating from the upper back to the lower abdomen and groin, frequent urination, pus and blood in the urine, absence of urine formation, and sometimes chills and fever. The size of the stones can range from a microscopic speck to a fingertip.
- Herbal detoxification products may be helpful in dissolving kidney stones nad flushing toxins, chemicals, heavy metals, and thousands of other poisons out of the body. We suggest using formulas that use organic, whole herbs.If interested, take a look at the Kidney Bladder Formula and Hot Cayenne Extract.
- We suggest a high quality whole food supplement, like VITAFORCE that is complete and made from whole foods which corrects nutritional deficiencies and boosts the immune system.
- In the morning, drink the consuming the Kidney Flush drink; 8-16 ounces of distilled water. The juice of one lemon and lime. 5-15 drops of the Hot Cayenne Extract, and a touch of maple syrup for taste (optional). This drink may help eliminate toxins and dissolve kidney stones.
- Eat a diet containing raw fruits, vegetables, juices, and whole grains, legumes Particularly, eat watermelon, garlic, potatoes, asparagus, parsley, watercress, celery, cucumber, papaya, and bananas. Eat the watermelon by itself.
- Drink an 8-16 ounce glass of distilled water every hour; essential for urinary tract function.
- Take organic, unrefined, cold-pressed Flaxseed Oil everyday as it has been shown to have favorable results with Kidney disease. American Journal of Kidney Disease, 25 (2), February 1995, p. 320-329
- Helpful herbs: Uva ursi, hydrangea, juniper berries, nettle, and marshmallow root.
Things to Avoid:
- All Animal Foods: dairy foods (milk, cheese, butter, cream, ice cream), fish, meat, chicken, turkey, eggs, fried and greasy foods, margarine, and all other processed foods and animal derived products from your diet. These foods are laced with chemicals, pesticides, and toxins as well as high levels of saturated fats and excess protein which lead to kidney stones.
- Salt, tobacco, caffeine, sodas, coffee, sugar, and refined white flour (breads, pastas, cereals- replace with whole wheat pastas, breads, and cereals). These products are extraordinarily destructive to the kidneys.
1) James F. Balch, MD, Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," (1997)
2) AJ Ingram, et al., "Effects of Flaxseed and Flax Oil Diets in a Rat- 5/6 Renal Ablation Model," American Journal of Kidney Disease, 25 (2), February 1995, p. 320-329
3) "Urinary Calcium and Dietary Protein," Nutr Rev 38 1980, p. 9
4) W. Robertson, "Should Recurrent Calcium Oxalate Stone Formers Become Vegetarians?" British Journal Urology 51 (1979), p. 427
5) "Diet and Urinary Calculi," Nutr Rev 38 (1980), p. 74
6) P. Shah, "Dietaryy Calcium and Idiopathic Hypercalcuria," Lancet 1 (1981), p. 786
7) J. McDougall, MD, "The McDougall Plan," (1983): p. 222-223
Sumac is used as a medicinal herb in traditional medicine. Investigators at Iran University of Medical Science in Tehran and several other research centers in Iran and the United states, studied the effects of this medicinal herb on Type 2 diabetes.
Their study, reported on in the Iran Journal of Pharmacology Research in the fall of 2014, included 41 participants diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes …
- 22 participants received 3 grams per day of sumac powder, while the other
- 19 were given a placebo for 3 months.
It was found the blood sugar levels and HbA1c went down in the sumac group while remaining the same in the placebo group.
From these results it was concluded the sumac herb could possibly lower blood sugar in many people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
Edible sumac is a different species from the weed that causes an itchy rash – edible sumac berries are known for their tart, fruity flavor. Their red color imparts a bright appearance to foods. According to Nancy Guppy, Registered Dietitian, the tart flavor of sumac comes from vitamin C.
Try making a chickpea salad according to a recipe from the website thekitchn.com. You will need chickpeas, garlic cloves, black pepper, red onion, Sumac, chili powder, Italian parsley, lemon, olive oil, pomegranate syrup, and sprigs of fresh mint. Make a tofu Or and veggie dish with a recipe from KBlog.LunchBoxBunch.com . It calls for broccoli florets, oyster mushrooms, safflower oil, firm tofu, sumac, tamari, minced ginger, chili powder, and (sugarless) maple syrup.
From S Alfez.com/moroccan_lebanese_cuisine/recipes/middle-eastern/middle-eastern-vegetarian-recipes/sumac-fattoush.html comes a recipe for a traditional Fattoush salad with olive oil, by cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, by red pepper, radish, onions, parsley leaves, mint, lemon juice, and sumac.
Sumac powder can be found on the spice aisle of many grocery stores and in most Middle Eastern stores. Several sources also offer it online.
Edible sumac is drought resistant and grows in all 48 contiguous states in the USA. It can be grown as an ornamental plant as well as for its fruit. Many people forage for edible sumac, which can be easily distinguished from the poisonous species which produces white or yellow berries in contrast to the purple-red berries on edible plants. A pink lemonade can be made from the berries. Pick a few clusters of berries and add them to cool, not hot, water. Allow the berries to soak until the water turns pink, which can take from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Add sweetener and enjoy.
What is Nursing Informatics?
Nursing Informatics is the integration of clinical nursing with information management and computer processes. It is a relatively new focus in health care that combines nursing skills with information technology expertise. Nurse informatics specialists manage and communicate nursing data and information to improve decision making by consumers, patients, nurses and other health care providers.
The nursing process has four main steps: planning, implementation, evaluation, and assessment. However, because information management is integrated into the nursing process and practice, some nursing communities identify a fifth step in the nursing process: documentation. Documentation and patient-centered care are the core components of the nursing process. Automated documentation is vitally important, not just for nursing, but for all patient care. Up-to-date, accurate information at each step of the nursing process is the key to safe, high quality patient-centered care.
The successful implementation of information systems in nursing and health care requires the following: First, it is necessary to have well designed systems that support the nursing process within the culture of an organization. The second requirement is having the acceptance and integration of information systems into the regular workflow of the nursing process and patient care. Finally, it is important to have resources that can support the previously mentioned factors. One of the most effective and valuable resources a healthcare organization can add is a Nurse informatics specialists.
Nursing Informatics Specialists
Nursing Informatics Specialists are expert clinicians with an extensive clinical practice background. These individuals have experience in utilizing and implementing the nursing process. These nurses have excellent analytical and critical thinking skills. They also understand the patient care delivery workflow and integration points for automated documentation. Having additional education and experience with information systems is also important for this occupation. Finally, Nursing Informaticists are excellent project managers because of the similarity between the project management process and the nursing process.
To be competitive in this field one should become familiar with relational databases by taking a class about database structure. They should also become competent and comfortable with MS Office, especially Excel, Access and Visio.
Why these jobs are Important to Healthcare?
Nurse and health informatics bring a great deal of value to patients and the health care system. Some examples of how they provide value include:
- Provide Support to the nursing work processes using technology
- Increasing the accuracy and completeness of nursing documentation
- Improving the nurse's workflow
- Automating the collection and reuse of nursing data
- Facilitating analysis of clinical data
- Providing nursing content to standardized languages
HIMSS and RHIO
To provide some background on the field of healthcare / nursing informatics, there are some governing bodies for this field. The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is the main governing body for health care and nursing informatics professionals. This group, formed in 2004, has the following four goals: NI awareness, education, resources (including websites), and RHIO (Regional Health Information Organization).
RHIOs are also known as Community Health Information Networks (CHINs). These are the networks that connect physicians, hospitals, laboratories, radiology centers and insurance companies.They all share and transmit patient information electronically through a secure system. Those organizations that are a part of RHIOs have a business interest in improving the quality of healthcare being administered.
Steps to a Job in This Field
To enter into the nursing informatics field, typically you need a minimum of a four year degree. There are specific health informatics degrees available. Earning your Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) is also a requirement before sitting for the ANCC certifications test for Nursing Informatics. Some individuals start with just a two year degree or diploma, but continue on to earn their BSN before becoming certified. Although there are several different routes for getting into the field, the most favored manner is to earn a Master's in Nursing Informatics from the start, however, most individuals start their career prior to earning their master's degree.
Most nurses who are in the informatics field start in a specialty area, such as the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Perioperative Services (OR), Med-Surg, Orthopedic Nursing, or Oncology, just to name a few, and work in that specialty field for an extended period. Working in a specialty area helps nurses get to know the normal working processes and routines as well as understand the patient care process in their specialty. They usually are experts at their specialty and then develop interests in computerized documentation or some other technological healthcare focus. They then tend to gradually move into an information systems clinical support role.
If you have an interest in nursing and technology, this might be a career that can match both of these skills into one rewarding job.